Washington is too big, too powerful and too intrusive in our lives. Led by out of control agencies like the NSA and IRS,  which have literally persecuted Americans for political reasons, Washington has become a threat to opportunity, freedom and rights. President Obama has been notorious for selectively enforcing the law,  which directly threatens the Constitutional principle that we are all to be treated equally under the law.
Americans from all political persuasions believe that security from threats, foreign and domestic, is not a valid reason for giving up their basic rights – like the right to privacy – with a plurality of Americans suggesting that the Government regulates more of their daily lives than it did when their parents were their same age.
Americans place tremendous importance on being treated equally under the law, but across the board, they do not feel that everyone is treated equally in reality. The same holds true for people’s beliefs about the freedom from politicians who serve their own interests instead of the public’s interests, the freedom to choose your own doctor, the freedom to express political beliefs without fear of government reprisal, and the freedom to speak on the phone without the government listening and the freedom to send an email without the government monitoring.
How it Affects You:
- The IRS has become so politicized and heavy-handed that it literally targets and persecutes American citizens  for exercising their First Amendment rights of “freedom of speech” “the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”
- The IRS has shown that it can target organizations deemed political rivals of the Administration with impunity.
- Revelations about the National Security Agency (NSA) spying on American citizens  run counter to the ideals of freedom-loving Americans. The NSA has taken its vast capabilities and broadened them from spying on America’s enemies to spying on its allies abroad and law abiding Americans.
- The NSA can eavesdrop on a cell phone conversation between you and your friends, read private emails between you and your spouse, even read text messages between you and your children.
- Washington’s abuse of power threatens to destroy the checks and balances established in the Constitution to protect your freedom and your rights.
We must hold our politicians accountable when they pass laws that serve their own interests rather than the public’s interests.
- 1- Granick, Jennifer. “NSA, DEA, IRS Lie About the Fact That Americans Are Routinely Spied On by Our Government: Time For A Special Prosecutor.” Forbes.com. 14 August 2013. http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennifergranick/2013/08/14/nsa-dea-irs-lie-about-fact-that-americans-are-routinely-spied-on-by-our-government-time-for-a-special-prosecutor-2/
- 2- Kasperowicz, Pete. “Lawmaker says Obama’s Selective Enforcement of Laws ‘Demeaning to Our Democracy’.” TheHill.com. 19 July 2013. http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/312279-lawmaker-says-obamas-selective-enforcement-of-laws-demeaning-to-our-democracy
- 3- Miller, Zeke J. “Poll: Americans More Concerned About Civil Liberties In Wake of Boston Bombing.” Swampland.Time.com. 1 May 2013. http://swampland.time.com/2013/05/01/poll-americans-more-concerned-about-civil-liberties-in-wake-of-boston-bombing/
- 4- Dana Bash and Chelsea J. Carter. “Obama Says Some IRS Employees ‘Failed,’ Orders Accountability.” CNN.com. 15 May 2013. http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/14/politics/irs-conservative-targeting/
- 5- “NSA Surveillance Exposed.” cbsnews.com. http://www.cbsnews.com/feature/nsa-surveillance-exposed/