THE SENATE IS PREPARING TO VOTE ON A BILL THAT NO ONE HAS READ YET
- Obamacare taught us how dangerous it is to pass a bill and then “find out what’s in it,” as then-Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi expressed it.
- The Senate amnesty bill, S. 744, is more than 1,000 pages. If they are honest, most Senators will admit that they have not read the bill in its entirety yet.
- The Senators supporting this bill have repeatedly said the bill contains strict border security measures. If they had read the bill, they would know that the bill lacks meaningful border security measures and merely suggests that the DHS Secretary submit a proposal for securing the plan.
- The Senators supporting this amnesty bill have also repeatedly said that the bill would require anyone who receives amnesty to pay 100% of their back taxes. If they had actually read the bill, they would know that the bill only requires that tax liabilities on the books be collected. In other words, anyone who worked “under the table” or “off the books” while here illegally would not be required to pay any back taxes. Furthermore, the Secretary of DHS would have total discretion over who would be required to pay any taxes. As this bill is written, she has total waiver discretion.
- As taxpayers, we expect Members of Congress to represent us, and a big part of representing us means not voting for legislation in excess of 1,000 pages that no one has bothered to read.