Mc posted a new picture
Notes for Local Coordinators Webinar
January 16, 2013
FOCUS! FOCUS! Focus!
Remember what we decided on Sunday night. We are going to keep the focus on the four upcoming deadlines that we can influence right away:
1. Debt Ceiling: February 15 – February 28-ish
2. Sequestration: end of February/early March
3. Continuing Resolution: March 27 (Easter is March 31)
4. Budgets to Pass Both Chambers: April 15
In the next week there are several things that are going to happen. President Obama is going to continue to use his bully pulpit to press his agenda.
He is President and this is his prerogative. Do not let that distract you from our issues. Over the weekend, President Obama will take the oath of office for the second time and the Inaugural Ceremonies will occur. This means he will continue to dominate the news cycle. We respect the process and our fellow citizens who also voted for a Republican controlled House of Representatives and status quo.
Use this time when the media will be focused elsewhere to prepare. Here is the game plan:
1. MESSAGING: Our messaging to our local supporters between between now and Sunday’s webinar (when we meet again to regroup) needs to focus on constituents having input on the debt ceiling and overspending debates (and other fiscal deadlines and decisions coming up) before the decisions are made. 2. CALLS: we need people to call their members of Congress to ask, ”When are you holding a townhall the week of January 28th, while you are in-district that week?” Ask ”when” instead of ”will you” and to keep at it, to try and get them to hold one. Tell them you are concerned about the debt and spending and it is time to for them to come home and make sure they know what you think before the deadlines are upon us and there is no time to solve the problem. 3. FOLLOW UP WITH TPP: Let us know when the town halls will be and we will let the local supporters in our database in your Congressional District know when the town halls will be. 4. ALTERNATIVES: If the Congressmen and Senators do not choose to have a town hall the week of January 27, then you have 2 choices: Hold your own town hall and invite them to attend. This is a way to get your message out through earned media. Setup an appointment to meet with them. Consider having a press conference after your meeting. Again, a way to get your message out through earned media. Let us know when your town hall will be or if you are planning to have a private meeting with your Congressman. If they choose not to meet with you and refuse to listen to their constituents, let us know that as well. 5. REMEMBER SENATORS: We need several coordinators in each state to focus on the Senators as well. It is worth considering whether or not to divide up which groups will focus on which Senators. Tea Party Patriots Support Team Will Create a Tool Kit: Sample letter to the editor – get people to volunteer now to submit letters to the editor focused on the overspending. Sample press release about the town hall, lack of town hall, or tea party local group created town hall On The RADAR