Two years later, still searching for answers

Last week, Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC), who chairs the House Select Committee on Benghazi, released a statement[1] on progress in the investigation into the deadly attack. In it, he leaves no doubt his investigation will continue pursuing the truth about what happened on September 11, 2012:

We welcome the opportunity, and expect, to talk to personnel who were on the ground in Benghazi, their superiors, and anyone with relevant information related to the Benghazi terrorist attack. There are still facts to learn about Benghazi and information that needs to be explained in greater detail to the American people. And this Committee will do just that.

As we near the second anniversary of the deadly terrorist attack that killed four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens, it’s invigorating to know we still have lawmakers pursuing the truth. Two years later, the official government narrative of the hours before and after the attack still contains plenty of holes.

“What’s more, recent revelations from a security team in Benghazi allege that the CIA prevented first responders from rushing to the aid of Stevens and others who were under siege at the U.S. Consulate. In an interview with Fox News[2], one member of the team, Kris Paronto, said “We were told to wait, stand down. We were delayed three times.”

These most recent claims will no doubt spark denials in the media from the Obama Administration.  But while President Obama and other politicians want to sweep the Benghazi attack under the rug relegate it to “old news” status, we won’t stop pressing for answers. The American people deserve clear answers. What happened in Benghazi and why it happened matter quite a bit.

It matters because two years ago, we lost four great Americans: Stevens, Sean Smith, Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty. They paid the ultimate sacrifice. The least our government can do is get come forward with answers.