More bad news on Obamacare
The Obama Administration has acknowledged that health care premiums from plans bought on the Obamacare exchange will go up next year. In one word: wow.
The admission came in a report released Thursday by the Department of Health and Human Services. The report says premiums for the most popular Obamacare plan will increase by an average of five percent in 35 states.
This isn’t the first time we’ve seen this kind of admission from the administration. Last year, then-HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius also acknowledged that some would see insurance premiums rise as a result of the law. But it is one more negative story the White House is being forced to absorb right now when it comes to Obamacare.
On top of Gruber-gate, prominent liberal Senators are speaking up with a bit of Obamacare buyer’s remorse.
- Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said that the Democrats “blew the opportunity the American people gave them” by going after health care reform so hard in 2009.
- Now Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) is saying close to the same thing. “So I look back and say we should have either done it the correct way or not done anything at all,” said Harkin, referring to the Affordable Care Act.
So, senior Democrats on Capitol Hill are turning against President Obama’s health care law, and administration officials are saying premiums will rise next year. I doubt we’re alone in saying we wish these officials had spoken up sooner.
The last few weeks have undoubtedly been horrible for Obamacare. But then, has the legislation ever had a good week?
- 1- Alonso-Zaldivar, Ricardo. Average Affordable Care premiums going up in 2015. http://www.wtop.com 4 December 2014.
- 2- Radnofsky, Louise. Sebelius: Some Could See Insurance Premiums Rise. http://blogs.wsj.com 23 March 2013.
- 3- Rowland, Kara. After midterm drubbing, senior Dems voicing regret over ObamaCare. http://www.foxnews.com 4 December 2014.