Lies, Damned Lies and the Actions of this Administration
The bombshell admission by Department of Justice attorneys has exposed another web of deceit, spun by the Obama Administration in the ongoing IRS scandal. After months of being told that emails from Lois Lerner’s crashed computer were destroyed and forever lost, it appears they were in the government’s possession all along.
Tom Fritton of Judicial Watch, whose valiant efforts led to this stunning revelation, was informed by government lawyers on Friday that, “Lois Lerner’s emails, indeed all government computer records, are backed up by the federal government in case of a government-wide catastrophe.”
But, according to them “this back-up system would be too onerous to search.” 
Too onerous! Unfortunately, it wasn’t “too onerous” for the IRS to target hundreds of conservative groups with a campaign of intimidation, demanding answers to invasive questions just for seeking non-profit status. The IRS targeting campaign was a financially draining ordeal for many individuals who wanted nothing more than to exercise their First Amendment rights, but when the American people demand answers to this lawlessness, Obama’s lawyers claim it’s “too onerous.”
It’s not the search that pains the Obama Administration, but the inconvenient truths it will reveal. The focus on the missing hard drives and all the other concocted excuses was simply a “diversion,” noted Fritton.
“The Obama administration has known all along where the email records could be – but dishonestly withheld this information. You can bet we are going to ask the court for immediate assistance in cutting through this massive obstruction of justice,” Fritton stated. 
It is this obstruction that has Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA), House Oversight Committee chairman, wanting to re-question IRS Commissioner John Koskinen, who testified that “he moved heaven and Earth to get Lois Lerner’s lost e-mails.”
“‘We’re going to call him back,’ Issa said. ‘This time I intend to call him back for a deposition behind closed doors, where we can ask him extensively what he knew and when he knew it. We can go through day by day, how much time he spent getting briefed for his hearings because he either lied under oath, or he chose not to know a critical fact. When he said heaven and earth was moved, and in fact somebody, many somebodys, knew that Lois Lerner’s emails apparently do exist, and they simply haven’t bothered to go get them from what they’re calling disaster recovery documents.’” 
Part of the Obama Administration cover-up involved Lerner’s blackberry device, which was conveniently ignored and later destroyed after her computer crashed and after congressional hearings began.
“‘In his sworn declaration, Stephen Manning – deputy chief information officer for strategy and modernization with the IRS Information Technology business unit – reports that ‘there is no record of any attempt by any IRS IT employee to recover data from any Blackberry device assigned to Lois Lerner in response to the Congressional investigations or this litigation.’
This despite the fact that Lerner had been in possession of a government-issued Blackberry since November 2009, according to the statement of Thomas J. Kane, deputy associate chief counsel for procedure and administration within the IRS Office of Chief Counsel, and it would likely have hosted at least some of Lerner’s electronic communications.
Moreover, IRS documents provided by Kane show that Lerner’s Blackberry ‘was removed or wiped clean of any sensitive or proprietary information and removed as scrap for disposal in June 2012.’ By that time, a congressional investigation was well under way.” 
“[This is] part of a continuing pattern of dishonesty and thuggery we’ve seen from this administration,” said Jenny Beth Martin, co-founder of Tea Party Patriots. “When the government launches intimidation campaigns against private citizens simply because they may not agree with the government – and then lies about evidence being ‘lost’ – it should outrage all Americans.” 
This insidious behavior by the Obama Administration explains why public trust in government has slumped well below Watergate-scandal levels with only 13% saying “the government can be trusted to do what is right always or most of the time.” 
Let’s be truthful. It’s not Lerner’s e-mails that are “missing” in Washington, but honesty and integrity among our government officials.
- 1- Judicial Watch Press Room. “Judicial Watch Statement on Discovery of Backups for “Missing” Lois Lerner IRS Emails.” https://www.judicialwatch.org 25 August 2014.https://www.judicialwatch.org/press-room/press-releases/backups-for-missing-lois-lerner-irs-emails/
- 2- Martosko, David. “’It’s all been a big lie!’ Obama administration lawyer now admits ‘missing’ Lois Lerner emails WERE backed up but claims it’s too hard to search for them.” http://www.dailymail.co.uk 25 August 2014.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2734196/It-s-big-lie-Obama-administration-lawyer-admits-missing-Lois-Lerner-emails-WERE-backed-claims-s-hard-search-them.html
- 3- Breitbart TV. “Issa To Depose IRS Commissioner Over Uncovered Missing Lerner Emails.” http://www.breitbart.com 25 August 2014.http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2014/08/26/Issa-to-Depose-IRS-Commissioner-Who-Either-Lied-or-Hid-Lerner-Emails
- 4- Tuttle, Ian. “IRS Destroyed Lois Lerner Blackberry After Congressional Inquiry Began, Never Searched It.” http://www.nationalreview.com 26 August 2014.http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/386337/irs-destroyed-lois-lerner-blackberry-after-congressional-inquiry-began-never-searched
- 5- Mataconis, Doug. “Public trust in government hits new lows.” http://www.csmonitor.com 25 August 2014.http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Decoder/Decoder-Voices/2014/0808/Public-trust-In-government-hits-new-lows