Border Crisis Going Viral
Washington is not only failing to protect our borders – it’s failing to protect our citizens from dangerous, communicable diseases. The Center for Disease Control’s (CDC) strict standard of having immigrants and refugees undergo medical screening and necessary vaccinations before entering the United States is being thrown to the wayside when it comes to the recent surge of illegal immigrants.
In years past migrants, who tested positive for inadmissible health-related conditions  like tuberculosis (TB), influenza caused by novel or re-emergent influenza, etc., were barred from entering the country. In contrast, under the Obama Administration, sick children and adults flooding our borders – some having TB – are not only allowed to stay, but are being sent to undisclosed locations throughout the United States. The Adminstration claims illegal immigrants are properly screened and treated – at taxpayers’ expense – in processing facilities before being released. However, media reports contradict government accounts.
“The federal government is so overwhelmed by the current tide of migrants crossing the border it can’t provide basic medical screening to all of the children before transporting them – often by air – to longer-term holding facilities across the country, ABC News has learned.
The director of refugee health in the federal Health and Human Services Department “has identified a breakdown of the medical screening processes at the Nogales, Arizona, facility,” according to an internal Department of Defense memo reviewed by ABC News. The “breakdown” a systemic failure of the handoff of these children between CBP and HHS.” 
The lax, double standard concerns some in the medical field, including Dr. Jane Orient, an internal medicine specialist and the Executive Director of the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS).
“Tuberculosis (TB) is the single most dangerous disease because it is highly contagious and can be easily picked up at the mall, at a school, or on the bus,” Orient told Breitbart News.
“Legal immigrants have always been required to undergo health screenings,” Orient continued, “but these kids coming [here] have no medical screenings and no vaccine records. They’re likely coming here with a number of infectious diseases that will spread like wildfire.” 
The widespread outbreaks of chicken pox, pneumonia, influenza, and scabies in processing facilities illustrates how easily these viruses and diseases could multiply beyond detention walls, if not properly contained and treated.
In its March 21st issue, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report claims, “For more than two decades, as the number of tuberculosis (TB) cases overall in the United States has declined, the proportion of cases among foreign-born persons has increased. In 2013, the percentage of TB cases among those born outside the country was 64.6%.”  Our country has enacted stringent protocols for screening immigrants for diseases – to the point of developing new testing measures – for this very reason. Yet, all of it could become a moot point, if the standards aren’t being equally applied to all who enter.
“The CDC’s own guidelines are clearly being violated with regards to the illegal immigrants currently crossing the border,” said Dr. Elizabeth Lee Vliet, a preventive medicine physician.  The former director of the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons notes how the federal government is once again giving preferential treatment to those who violated the law.
“It’s not who we are as a nation to break our own laws and give preference to those who do,” Vliet stated. 
The President’s lawlessness could go well beyond a Constitutional crisis. It could become a health crisis as Americans’ health and safety are being put at risk due to a personal, political agenda.
- 1- Center for Disease Control. “Medical Examination: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).” http://www.cdc.gov August 2014.http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/medical-examination-faqs.html#5
- 2- Avila, Jim. “Exclusive: Feds Struggling to Cope With Medical ‘Breakdown’ at the Border.” http://abcnews.go.com 17 July 2014.http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2014/07/exclusive-feds-struggling-to-cope-with-medical-breakdown-at-the-border/
- 3- Berry, Dr. Susan. “Doctors Warn Of Looming Health Crisis Due To Flood Of Young Illegal Immigrants.” http://www.breitbart.com 23 June 2014.http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/06/21/Doctors-Warn-of-Looming-U-S-Public-Health-Crisis-Due-To-Flood-of-Young-Illegal-Immigrants
- 4- Compilation of 13 Doctors. “Implementation of New TB Screening Requirements for U.S.-Bound Immigrants and Refugees — 2007–2014.” http://www.cdc.gov21 March 2014.http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6311a3.htm
- 5- Tate, Kristin. “Feds Bend CDC Rules For Sick Illegal Immigrants.” http://www.breitbart.com 7 August 2014.http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texas/2014/08/07/Feds-Bend-CDC-Rules-for-Sick-Illegal-Immigrants