Border Crises: What’s Love Got To Do With It?
While some may be risking their lives to be reunited with family, not all are making the dangerous trek in the name of love. Members of Mara Salvatrucha 13 (MS-13) – one of the most violent gangs in America – are taking full advantage of the border crisis to increase their numbers and influence in the US. Already making their presence known by defacing the Nogales processing center with gang-related graffiti, MS-13 is wasting no time in building their ranks. They’ve started using the facility as a recruitment station.
“The Red Cross has set up phone banks inside the processing center so unaccompanied minors can make phone calls to family members inside the United States and back home in Central America. According to [Border Patrol] sources, those phones are also being used by MS-13 members to communicate with gang members already in the United States and operating in cities like Atlanta, New York and Chicago. Further, many teenaged males inside the facility have approached Border Patrol agents and have said gang members have tried to recruit them from shared cells.” 
The gang members who are infiltrating our porous borders are unlike any of those our country has seen. Townhall obtained a chilling document from the Border Patrol, outlining some of the heinous crimes these young, teenage boys have recently committed.
“In an interview with Border Patrol agents, 15-year-old self admitted MS-13 member with the last name Aguilar said he killed a member of rival gang 18th Street six months ago with a fully automatic Uzi before coming to the United States.
“He claims he walked over to the wounded rival, and emptied the magazine into the rival’s body,” interview documents show.
Aguilar also admitted to, “being involved in extortion for the gang,” and “collecting money from local vendors and threatening them if they refused to pay.” 
One agent who spoke anonymously for the fear of retribution shared that “one [minor] admitted to killing as young as eight years old.”  While Border Patrol agents understand how serious of a threat these gang member pose, the tidal wave of illegal immigrants crossing has left them outnumbered in their efforts, making it easy for violent criminals to sneak in. This concern has caused Governor Rick Perry to deploy 1,000 National Guard troops to the southern border as explained by Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott.
“The purpose of adding more resources on the ground is not to address the women and children, it’s to address the growing reality that a lot of people coming across the border are here for criminal purposes… They’re killing, they’re raping, they’re robbing, they’re doing all kinds of harsh criminal activity.” 
And eerily, they are coming here. La Grulla, Texas officer – who has dealt with local gangs – came upon an MS-13 member during a traffic stop violation. The gang member was with a group of illegal immigrants. The officer noted, “This department, we have never seen MS-13 gang members. We’ve seen our local gangs, you know, Vallucos and other gangs, but not MS-13.” 
Many more are on their way.
- 1- Pavlich, Katie. Exclusive: Border Patrol Warns MS-13 Using Nogales Processing Center as Recruitment Hub. ” http://townhall.com 11 July 2014.
- 2- Pavlich, Katie. EXCLUSIVE: Documents Detail Heinous Crimes Committed by Gang Members Being Housed in Nogales Processing Center. ” http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2014/07/17/exclusive-documents-detail-heinous-crimes-committed-by-ms13-gang-members-being-housed-in-nogales-processing-center-n1862985 17 July 2014.
- 3- Pavlich, Katie. Illegal Unaccompanied Minors Being Held For Placement in U.S. Admit to Engaging in Torture and Murder. ” http://townhall.com 8 July 2014.
- 4- CBS Houston. Texas Attorney General: Immigrants Crossing Border Illegally Are Raping, Killing In Texas. ” http://houston.cbslocal.com / 22 July 2014.
- 5- KRVG.com. MS-13 Member Arrested in La Grulla. ” . http://www.krgv.com 15 July 2014.