On August 23rd I was honored to present to the Linn County Tea Party Patriots in Cedar Rapids Iowa at the local Godfathers Pizza. The owner is a strong conservative, and the Linn County Tea Party meet there on a weekly basis with as little as 10 people and as many as 40 people, depending on the night. Randy Lucore is the Coordinator of the group and works closely with his dad and others in that role.
After announcements, the first thing we did was go around the room and get everyone say who they were and why they are fighting in the movement today. The stories were not unlike the stories we’ve all heard from patriots across the rest of the nation, while at the same time each story was unique to each individual. There was a common theme of standing up for what we as a nation are losing, and defending our rights as individual, sovereign citizens.
My presentation covered the 5 prong attack of “Operation Push Swing,” a plan to make the purple state of Iowa red again. The five areas of engagement include:
- Reaching out to Tea Party Groups to educate members on the importance of this election and on taking back our authority as We The People in our Republic. We also want to make sure people know about signing up and using online resources such as those found at the Iowa Grassroots Coalition (IAGRC) website www.iagrc.com and the Tea Party Patriots website www.teapartypatriots.org, and that they are aware of all the resources available to aid in the fight for our country.
- Reaching out to Candidates to encourage them to reach out to Tea Party groups, and to let them know about the sorts of activities we are involved in leading up to the elections, such as holding rallies, hosting candidate forums/Q&A sessions, and educating citizens and candidates about the founding principles of our nation.
- College Campuses (Iowa State UniversityCampus Tea Party) is reaching out to all major campuses in Iowa to educate students and faculty about Tea Party values and our reasons for existing. We hand out information from IAGRC and TPP and also explain to them about the importance of the 2012 election.
- Reaching out to Churches. The Patriots for Christ and Christian Tea Party group reaching out to all major denominations in the model of the Black Robe Regiment and asking all to start preaching from the pulpit about the importance of the 2012 election and reaching out to all with the message of the TP movement and our three core values of fiscal responsibility, constitutionally limited government, and free markets.
- Finally the IRP. There are tea party members that are also members of the Iowa State Central Committee within the Iowa Republican Party (IRP) that are there to ensure that all discussions and actions taken are being founded on the input of We the People – the constituency that elected them to do the will of the people – according to the Constitution of the United States. They are there also to see to it that the platform is followed as written and abides by our Constitution.
We ended the night by covering the basics of the TPP GOTV resources available to all local tea party groups. All in all it was a wonderful evening and truly my pleasure, and an honor to meet the great individuals of the Linn County Tea Party Patriots.
(Note: Though we are educating people about the importance of the elections, people are getting involved in activities surrounding the elections, and there are tea party members involved with the IRP, this does not confer endorsements from Tea Party Patriots or partisan activity in any way. We are focused on our core values of fiscal responsibility, constitutionally limited government, and free markets, and issues related to our values.)
Gregg Cummings is a former Army Ranger, the prior TPP State Coordinator for Iowa, and the current Midwest Regional Support Team member. Email him at email@example.com if you have any questions or would like to request him to come speak to your group.