In 2012, the House Republican budget was viewed as the radical budget plan in Washington. It made modest cuts to non-defense discretionary spending, enacted tax reform, and instituted competition to Medicare. It also block-granted Medicaid to the states.
Unfortunately, the budget did not cut defense, or reform Social Security. It also needs two decades to balance, according to the Congressional Budget Office. As a result, many Tea Party activists viewed it as “not good enough.”
One Tea Party-minded Senator agrees with those activists, so he put forth his own plan. Senator Rand Paul’s (R-KY) budget, “A Platform to Revitalize America,” balances the budget in five years, pays down a significant amount of the national debt within a decade, and steers America a path to solvency.
Here are some specifics, via Senator Paul’s website :
- It block-grants Medicaid, SCHIP, foods stamps, and child nutrition
- Defunds duplicative or wasteful agencies and programs
- Sells off excess federal properties and land
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Education (preserves Pell grants)
- Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Department of Energy (transfers nuclear research and weapons to Department of Defense)
- Privatizes Transportation Security Agency
- It opens up America for more energy exploration
- Means-testing of Social Security, and an increase in the retirement age
- Institutes competition into Medicare by giving seniors the same health care and health insurance options as Members of Congress
This budget plan may be the best one in Washington, period. No tax increases – it actually institutes a 17% flat tax for individuals and corporations – and unlike other budgets it actually eliminates several major bureaucracies. It diminishes our overseas military involvement. Most importantly, it puts Medicare and Social Security on the path to solvency for generations to come.
Unfortunately, only in Washington is “reality-based” viewed as radical. Senator Paul’s plan is exactly what the nation needs, yet it was not given consideration by either party’s leadership. Instead, Washington favors raising taxes and allowing spending to grow at an unsustainable rate. Tea Party Patriots is therefore proud to promote A Platform to Revitalize America because it would do exactly what Senator Paul says it would, renew our country for the 21th century.